MedTech Europe has published an article earlier this year about symbols that have been proposed by the industry association to be included in the new revision of ISO 15223-1.
MedTech Europe has now announced that some symbols are available on the website of the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
The symbols include:
• Contains human blood or plasma derivatives
• Contains a medicinal substance
• Contains hazardous substances
• Contains biological material of human origin
• Contains biological material of animal origin
• Single Patient Multiple use
Please note that the revision of standard 15223-1 is expected to be published later in 2020. It remains to be seen if more symbols will be published on the website, e.g. “medical device” or “unique device identification” as the transition period continues.